Surfrider Foundation Central Texas Chapter has an Adopted-a-Stop in downtown Austin. The adopted stop is adjacent to Veterans Park (Veterans/Atlanta (ID 1977); and was selected due to the close proximity to Town Lake and the Texas Rowing Center, where the Chapter conducts their Bi-Monthly Lake Clean Ups. The Adopt-a-Stop program is a partnership between Surfrider Foundation Central Texas Chapter and Capital Metro which seeks to ensure that riders have an enjoyable experience and assisting in keeping our community clean and safe at our adopted stop. Our commitment to our adopted stop is:
- Give our stop a little TLC now and then, between Capital Metro-scheduled cleanings.
- Contact Capital Metro to inform of graffiti or other concerns with our adopted stop.
- Improving the stop with recycling stations, landscaping, and other enhancements to improve the stop.
We are currently in the planning process and are working to incorporate elements that reflect the Surfrider Foundation, and also help promote awareness about recycling, landscaping, and keeping Austin clean.
What you can do to take action:
1) Anybody who is interested in proposing a design or concept for the stop can visit the stop and photograph it, or view it here. The stop has 1 litter container, 2 benches with backs, and 1 shelter (7×14).
2) Submit your creative design to the Chapter. In the past we have proposed ideas such as:
- Painting benches
- Adding native plants
- Turning the shelters into palapas
- Painting roof of the stop (It is viewable from Mopac Southbound)
- Add recycling station
- Create signage with facts about Surfrider/recycling
3) All ideas will be considered, and there are no strict guidelines other than that any modifications to the stop have to be structurally sound and feasible (and reversible).
4) Once we have received all creative designs, the Chapter will vote and decide on the implementation process and propose it to Capital Metro.
5) Upon Capital Metro’s approval, we will enhance and implement the proposal to our adopted bus stop.
We look forward to your submissions, and to enhancing our adopted stop!